Wednesday, February 27, 2008

week 5 question

The way we produce food in America is unsustainable. In our everyday lives it is hard to eat food that is produced in a sustainable way. For example, organic food production seems like it would be less detrimental to the environment however when it is shipped from halfway across the world this positive effect is negated. Making small changes can help, but in order to eat in an environmentally sustainable way we would have to:

1: Eat lower on the foodchain
2: Buy locally grown foods
3: Buy organic foods.
4: Do not buy foods with unnecessary packaging

To address these issues we need to look deeper than on a personal decision basis.

When I buy food I would say I think about the environment as much as the average American. I try to avoid buying things with unnecessary packaging such as bottled water. If an organic option is available I may buy it if it is not significantly more expensive. Aside from doing little things like this, I do not go out of my way to buy environmentally friendly foods. Of the goods I've bought in the last few days, I would say that a Brita water filter was the most important for the environment. Because of this I will not buy bottles of water any more, which is wasteful and also sort of silly when you think about it. In some places a bottle of water costs more than things like soda or juice, when you can just get water out of the faucet.

No comments: