Saturday, February 23, 2008

question 5

I dont thin that i have ever kept the environment in mind when i buy or eat my food. Top on my list or concern when buying food is price; if it's cheap, i'll buy it. This applies to almost everything that i buy, with the exception of eggs. I like to buy organic or cage free eggs when i can, but again, if they are significantly more expensive, i dont even do that. Price is definitely the most important factor in my food choices, probably followed by health (multi grain v. white bread, calories etc). Technically, i guess just because its organic even mean its environmentally better anyway.
I did watch a segment on tv once about buying food that is packaged in less plastic, and how we should all buy things that arent over packaged, but to be honest, i've never actually stopped and bought an alternative because what i was looking to buy had too much packaging.
Of the most recent foods that i have eaten, i would say that the prepackaged cake i made probably had the greatest environmental impact due to all the byproducts and materials that go into the manufacturing of the mix and the packaging. although, thats a tough question, because its hard for me to judge the environmental impact of the food that i have consumed.

No comments: