Thursday, March 20, 2008

Question 6

Over spring break six of my friends and myself drove down to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I would say that the group was as environmentally aware as the average of American University students. Basically, the situation was that five of us drove down on Saturday and one had to come late on Tuesday. Because of this, we decided to drive three cars. Even though we had five driving down at the same time on the way there, because of convenience and comfort we decided to take two cars. When this situation is looked at in terms of environmental waste or gas cost this does not make too much sense. Because of this, I had a discussion with one of my friends about this on the way back.
I learned that the group generally cared about environmental issues enough, but did not want to sacrifice comfort. He understood how this situation did not make sense, but did not really want to do anything about it. This is probably the most important thing I learned; while some may care about the environment they do not want to make sacrifices to protect it.

No comments: